Sat 22nd June
Nordic Midsummer Scottish-style
Midsummer’s Day (Midsommardagen in Swedish) is the most important date in the Nordic calendar and is joyously celebrated throughout the Nordics. Often linked to the feast of St John the Baptist – Sankthansaften (St John’s Eve ) in Denmark and Norway, Juhannus in Finland, Jónsmessa in Iceland – it is nevertheless firmly rooted in sun worship around the summer solstice.
June is also when most of the Nordics celebrate their political identity: Constitution Day in Denmark and the Faroe Islands is on June 5th; whilst National Day in Sweden falls on June 6th, in Iceland on June 17th and in Greenland on June 21st.
• Traditional Swedish midsommarstång with music and dancing
• Live performances by invited Nordic and Scottish musicians
• Craft demonstrations, exhibitions and workshops
• Traditional food and drink
• Family-friendly events and activities
Save the date! Full details coming soon…